Sunday, March 23, 2014

Motown Goes To Motorp: A New Way to Store 45s

"Over there is a stack of vinyl/which is yours and which is mine/forty-five."
- Elvis Costello

Remember a few weeks ago I told you about those Sterilite containers I had my 45s in? And how I said they'd be a temporary thing? Well, sure enough, they were.

I'm lucky enough to live close enough to an IKEA to actually shop there on occasion, if not partake of the meatballs and lingonberries*. So for the first time in about three or four years, I did. I happened upon something called "Motorp." Motorp doesn't anagram into anything useful (mop rot? To prom?), but it is useful as storage decor. They're not far off in size from my Sterilites...but they look so much nicer. And yes, you can label them:

MOTORP Box with lid IKEA Perfect for newspapers, photos or other memorabilia.
Like the Expedits you might use for albums, Motorps come in different sizes. There's a size that's a little smaller, but it has no lid. There's a bigger size that might tempt you into double-stacking your 45s inside if you could find something to serve as an internal shelf. This is the one Goldilocks said was juuuuuuuuuuust right.

It'll take a little bagel-finagling to find the right configuration for your records once they're in there. I have one row down the length of the box, and some stacked on one side perpendicular to them.
That's not just my sucky photograhy. There really is a purple record in there. Guess what it is.
As you can see, it's a little too small in either direction to do two complete rows. But such is the price of being able to use the cover. The bigger Motorp is too tall for my tastes, and like I said, the smaller one has no cover.

It's hard these days to find nice, protective storage for 45s that goes beyond sleeves. But I like to think I've just found it.

Keep the conversation going and tell me what you use for your 45s.


* There's just too damn many places to eat out here for me to eat at IKEA. If I have to go as far as the mall this IKEA is in (it's one of the mall's "anchor stores" if you can believe that), I usually go to Red Robin. Although today I had Smashburger, since I just discovered we have one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment